essay on drugs and alcohol hotel business plan sample pdf undergraduate dissertations graphic design dissertations complete your dissertation phd dissertation help editing custom writing essays services how to write personal essays resume writing services knoxville tn

Service Quality and Complaints Commission

The Role of the Complaints and Service Quality Commissioner

Contact information

The Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner of the Montréal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (MWI IUHSSC) is Line Robillard

You can contact this office at:


Lakeshore General Hospital
160 Stillview, Suite 1289
Pointe-Claire (Québec) H9R 2Y2


The Assistant Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner of the Montréal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre (MWI IUHSSC) is Emmanuel Morin

You can contact this office at:

514-345-3511, poste 6610

St. Mary's Hospital Center
3830, avenue Lacombe 
Montréal (Québec) H3T 1M5

Examination of your complaint

  1. The Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner receives your complaint. She can help you formulate your complaint or ensure that you get the assistance you need.
  2. She examines your complaint to clearly identify the problem and try to solve it. At this point she asks you for your version of the facts.
  3. She then gathers information from the other parties involved.
  4. She intervenes without delay, and in the manner she feels most appropriate, if informed that someone who has made or intends to make a complaint is subjected to any kind reprisal.
  5. She informs you of the results within 45 days of receiving your complaint. Along with her findings, she proposes solutions to resolve the situation or other recommendations made to management, if appropriate.

Your complaint is handled in confidence.

Need help in formulating your complaint or support in your efforts?

You have several options:

  • Contact the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner access point closest to the installation where you were served. 
  • Your local Centre d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes (CAAP, or Complaint Assistance and Support Centre) can help you. CAAP is a regional community organization mandated by the ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux. Their services are free and confidential. For more information about CAAP in your area, call the following toll-free number: 1 877 767-2227.
  • The Users and Residents Committee of your local health installation can help you. All institutions are required to have a Users and Residents Committee. The Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner can provide you with the Committee’s telephone number.
  • Any person you choose can accompany or assist you in this process. 

Your rights as a user

  • The right to be informed of existing services and how to obtain them.
  • The right to always receive services that are humane, scientifically and socially sound, and provided in a safe and personalized manner.
  • The right to receive services from the professional or institution of your choice. 
  • The right to receive emergency care.
  • The right to be informed about the state of your health, and  the available treatment options, and their potential outcomes before consenting to treatment.
  • The right to be informed as promptly as possible of any mishap that occurred while you were being treated.
  • The right to be treated at all times with courtesy, fairness, and with respect for your dignity, autonomy and safety.
  • The right to freely accept or refuse treatments, either on your own or through an intermediary.
  • The right to access your file, which is confidential.
  • The right to participate in decisions that concern you.
  • The right to be accompanied by the person of your choice when requesting information about services.
  • The right to file a complaint without risk of reprisals, to be informed of the complaint review procedure, and to be accompanied or assisted throughout the procedure, if needed. 
  • The right to be represented and to have your rights recognized in the case of temporary or permanent inability to give consent.
  • For Anglophones, the right to receive services in English, in accordance with the government’s access program.

The complaint examination system

Who can file a complaint? 

Patients, clients, their representatives, or heirs can file a verbal or written complaint, and may do so by telephone, by post, or in person.

Why file a complaint? 

Filing a complaint is a constructive approach to ensuring that a patient or client’s rights are respected. By doing so, you can contribute to improving the quality of health and social services.

To whom should you address a complaint?  

Are you unsatisfied by care or services you received? Or do you feel your rights were not respected? It is the role of the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner to review your complaint and to ensure your rights are respected. However, we encourage you to begin by speaking with those responsible for the care and services in question.

Procedure for filing a complaint

Initial complaint 

You are unsatisfied with care or services provided by: 

  • a health and social services establishment
  • an intermediary resource
  • a family-type resource
  • any other organization, business or person connected to the establishment

You can file a verbal or written complaint at the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner access point closest to the installation where you were served. You can reach them at: 1 844 630-5125. You can email them at: 

Appeals Process

Should you not be satisfied by the answers or conclusions from the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner, you can contact the Ombudsman’s Office. 

Quebec Office: 418 643-2688
Montreal Office: 514 873-2032
Elsewhere: 1 800 463-5070

However, if your complaint concerns a professional practising in a health and social services institution, such as a physician, a dentist, a pharmacist or a medical resident, the Commissioner will send it to the medical examiner for special examination. You will be informed if this occurs. 

Should you remain unsatisfied by the answers or conclusions from the medical examiner, you can exercise your right of recourse to the MWI IUHSSC’s review Committee. 

Note: The private practises of physicians, dentists, and other health professionals are not covered by the complaint examination system, unless they are bound by a service agreement to an institution in the health and social services network.

The User Complaint Examination Procedure By-Law (printable PDF file) *NEW*

Did you know?


  • You have the right to talk about your concerns with a staff member of your choice (educator, worker, etc.).

    All staff members are there to help!
  • You have the right to discuss a specific problem situation with the head of the department or unit.

    They can help you! 
  • You have the right to contact the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner, in complete confidentiality:
    • To request information on your rights and remedies available to you; 
    • To report a problematic issue;
    • To file a complaint.

We are there for you!

Don’t hesitate to contact us. Under no circumstances will you be subjected to reprisals.

* Please note that this section is evolving, we are adding information gradually. We invite you to consult it regularly.

Annual Reports

Consult the annual reports here.

Complaint examination system pamphlet

Consult the complaint examination system pamphlet (Printable PDF file).

Dissatisfaction form (New version in Word Format)

Complaint Review Form (Printable PDF file)

Complaint Review Form (Printable Word file) *NEW*

Access Points

Access Points for the Service Quality and Complaints Commissioner: Map of the MWI IUHSSC territory.