The Academic Affairs, Teaching and Research Directorate (AATRD) is proud to announce that its Interdisciplinary Teaching Retreat—Teaching & Learning at the Montréal West Island IUHSSC: A Part of Our Culture—held October 10, 2019, was a big success.
We were pleased to welcome Ms. Lynne McVey, President & CEO of the Montréal West Island IUHSSC, to open the event, and Ms. Najia Hachimi-Idrissi, Associate President and CEO of the Montréal West Island Integrated University Health and Social Services Centre, who was present for the afternoon sessions. Both emphasized the importance of teaching at our IUHSSC.
The day was divided into several interactive sessions :
- Workshop 1: Teaching and Learning in Millennial Environment by Ms. Annie Chevrier, President of the Canadian Association of Medical and Surgical Nurses and a member of the Faculty Development Office of McGill University, and Dr. Preetha Krishnamoorthy, Director of Pediatric Undergraduate Education at McGill University.
- Round Table: Best experiences and daily challenges as a learner or instructor by Ms. Rosetta Antonacci, Faculty Lecturer at McGill University’s Ingram School of Nursing, and Ms. Karen Falchiccio, Associate Academic Coordinator of Clinical Education at McGill University’s School of Physical and Occupational Therapy.
- Presentation 1: Hiring Strategies for Trainees by Ms. Kim St-Hilaire, Chief—External Staffing Departments
- Presentation 2: Introduction to the IUHSSC’s Teaching Policy by Ms. Brigitte Desjardins, Project Manager—APPR Medical Education and Academic Affairs.
- Workshop 2: Working Together to Improve the Learning Environment by Ms. Adriana Venturini, physiotherapist and Assistant Professor at McGill University’s School of Physical and Occupational Therapy.
- Interdisciplinary Panel Discussion: Moderated by Dr. Bruce Campbell, Assistant Professor of Medicine at McGill University and an attending physician at St. Mary’s Hospital, and Mr. Jérôme Ouellet, Assistant to the Director of Nursing at the Montréal West Island IUHSSC.
- Team-Building Activity: Closing out the day with Dr. Howard Steiger, Head of the Eating Disorders Program at the Douglas Mental Health University Institute, Full Professor in the Psychiatry Department at McGill University, and an Associate Member in Psychology at McGill.
With more than 120 participants, from most of the IUHSSC’s directorates and colleagues from McGill University, the retreat was truly interdisciplinary. The workshops and discussions brought out some key challenges, creative ideas, and innovative steps that can be implemented to further promote teaching and learning at the IUHSSC.
We would like to thank all the members of the Scientific Planning Committee, the Consultation Group, and the Organization Committee, who worked with us regularly in the past four months to make the event possible. We would also like to thank all the participants who came to the event, gave their ideas, and shared their passion throughout the day. We also wish to thank the current, former, and future supervisors, as you are making teaching possible in the IUHSSC.
Please contact email@example.com for any questions regarding internship hiring process.
We encourage everyone in the IUHSSC to teach, learn, and inspire.